Sunday, April 12, 2020

The Covid Diaries --Day 3

Food Purchasing and Consumption

Yay, food, my favorite topic! I haven't been to the grocery store in weeks, which is so weird. My husband has been picking up groceries about once per week since everything we eat can last about that long accept for the bananas. There's usually something on the list he can't find either because it's out or he had to purchase another brand. We are buying some things we usually wouldn't buy so the kids can make their own snacks when they get hungry, such as slider buns and deli turkey. The biggest change for us is we are not eating out. We love to eat out, it's more of a form of entertainment for us as a family. The kids are finally realizing that whatever is on the table for dinner is dinner. They are no longer asking to go out, they aren't asking for Sonic ice cream every night, they aren't asking for anything because they know I'm not going to the grocery store tomorrow like I usually do. It's nice. 

There's an effort being made to have some sort of structure during these days. The kids are sleeping in so we are having a late breakfast and an early dinner. Some days there might be two large intermittent fastings going on and I'm down with that. I've had to give up some control on keeping everyone on the same schedule and making sure no one is spoiling their dinner. If I'm cooking breakfast and dinner then you better be there if you're going to eat. And they have been. I was the only person in the family to enjoy leftovers for lunch the next day but they are now open to having yesterday's leftovers if today's dinner is not to their liking. 

I believe the average American can pretty much go to a grocery store within a few miles of their home, purchase exactly what they are looking for based on their budget, any time, any day. Globally, that privilege is rare. We have conveniences and variety like none other. The rest of the world doesn't get to live like we do, is what I tell my kids all the time but they really don't get it and most of us don't or won't. Many people for the first time in their lives have witnessed empty grocery store shelves. I can't say if it's a shortage or there's a sudden high demand and the next shipment simply hasn't arrived. I think it's the latter but with so much business being shut down, people are left to draw their own conclusions and there seems to be an uneasiness and some fear. I feel terrible for all the businesses and especially small business suffering. I have confidence we are all getting through this and it's going to be okay, our economy will recover. This pandemic has been devastating for a great number of people world-wide. I think of them and am reminded how fortunate I am. I have my family, a place to live, clothes, clean water and I have food and I'm so very thankful.

Happy Easter! We have thunderstorms but still wanted to do something special for the holiday so we're smoking a bunch of food which will become this week's meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment