Tuesday, April 21, 2020

The Covid Diaries --Day 10

Faith/Spirituality

I'm a spiritual person, I believe in doing what's right, being a decent human being and hopefully leaving the world or people better in some way.  There have been several moments in my life that I can't explain why things happened the way they did. I couldn't think of anything to write about when this was due a couple days ago, but then yesterday something happened that made me feel like my unusual morning routine was meant to be. 

Monday was not my day to run, for some reason, I felt compelled. Everyone, including me, has been sleeping in a lot during the quarantine. I woke up very early Monday morning and decided I was going to run despite the fact that I ran the day before and I was going to have sore legs, sore feet and was going overboard with the running. I got dressed, grabbed my watch and stepped outside my front door to find a man, wearing only shorts, in 49 degree weather, sitting in my yard.

I didn't know him and can't say why I wasn't cautious approaching a half-naked stranger but I soon realized he was sitting because he could not stand. I said good morning, how are you and started to walk towards him, still minding social distancing. He stuttered a bit, came across very apologetic and finally asked for juice or soda. I immediately knew what was going on and ran inside thinking, "Dammit, I never have juice and pop, what am I going to give him?" Luckily, I had strawberries, which I grabbed along with a glass of water. This man is diabetic. His blood sugar is low and that's very dangerous. 

He ate the berries and told me how he ended up in my yard. He is staying at a home at the very top of the hill on the street in front of my house. So if you're looking out my front door, a street runs perpendicular directly in front of my house and it's a very steep hill. This man woke up with low blood sugar, no shirt, no shoes, went out his back door, uncontrollably stumbled all the way down his street into my driveway at the bottom of the hill.  First, I said good thing you didn't sleep naked last night.  Neither one of us knew how long he'd been there. When I asked him questions I could tell he was having some difficulty processing so I had to keep talking and trying to make him feel comfortable. Luckily, I have a ton of experience with this because one of my best friends from high school is diabetic. He always took excellent care of himself too but it's such a tricky balance. You can do everything exactly right and still have occasional issues that will blind side you. One of two things would happen to my friend, Joe, when his sugar dropped, he would either slowly put his head down and close his eyes, or he would become belligerent and start fighting all of us! Ha-ha, either way, we would always have to force Joe to eat. I'm so glad this man in my yard remained calm and knew he had to eat. 

After the berries he tried to stand and still couldn't. So I ran back into the house and got two chocolate banana muffins and he ate those. All the while he was trying to call his girlfriend but her phone was silenced, she was still in bed and had no idea he even left the house.  After another 15 minutes or so, he slowly stood up and had regained his strength. I walked him back up the hill to his house. 

Thank God he got better. Thank God he is okay. And thank you, God, for telling me to run that day when in my head, everything was telling me not to. Isn't that funny how some things work out so beautifully?  


No comments:

Post a Comment